making David & Goliath a tractable project

This board is for discussion of Classical Writing - Aesop. CW Aesop teaches writing through rewriting of shorter stories, like fables.

making David & Goliath a tractable project

Postby serendipitous » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:44 pm

Hi! I'm working on the Aesop A David & Goliath story with my 10 yo son, and he's intimidated by the length. Also, he cannot type well yet and so will need to be doing the work by hand.

To make it feasible for him, I was thinking of either having him write a section of the longer narrative or breaking the outlining and writing up over multiple days. Does either of those seem like a good idea? and do y'all have other suggestions for making the longer narratives less-intimidating?

thanks!
serendipitous

Re: making David & Goliath a tractable project

Postby Carolyn » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:36 pm

Both of those sound like excellent ideas. You could also have him dictate his story, either to you or to a tape recorder (mp3 player, etc.)
Carolyn

Postby serendipitous » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:55 pm

Thank you, Carolyn! So, as long as I'm making sure we do the work for the project, shortening it is not a problem?
serendipitous

Postby Carolyn » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:01 am

As an absolute rule, that won't always work well. Some of the writing projects, to happen, need to include the whole story -- but I think that won't start happening until Homer. I'm thinking of the writing projects in which the student analyzes the story, figures out the beginning, middle, and end, and then tells the story starting with the middle. If you don't have a middle in your selection, it's not going to work.

However, for Aesop, while his typing skills are still getting themselves sorted out, it should work just fine. You are working on building a solid foundation of writing skills, and starting a little collection of writing tools. Those things can be learned just as well on selections from a model as well as from the whole model.
Carolyn

Postby serendipitous » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:34 am

Carolyn, thank you for taking the time to make this clear. We are good to go, and I'm better prepared for teaching Homer -- thank you again!
serendipitous

Return to Book I: Aesop --- Beginning Narrative Writing