The Predicate in Aesop B

This board is for discussion of Classical Writing - Aesop. CW Aesop teaches writing through rewriting of shorter stories, like fables.

The Predicate in Aesop B

Postby Kathie in VA » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:45 am

The definition for a predicate is found in the Aesop core page 24. Here is refers to the predicate as the verb or verb phrase. Then in the Aesop Student Workbook B it reinforces this on page 18 by having the student copy the definition as "The Predicate is the verb or verb phrase that tells what the subject is or does." Then on page 19 they need to "...double underline the complete predicate."

However this is not accurate. The predicate, ie the complete predicate, can be more than the verb or verb phrase. Harvey's defines it on page 11 and CW Homer defines it on page 181. Neither restrict the definition to just the verb or verb phrase.

I get that these are younger kids and the intention might have been to simplify it for them. In this case it would have been better not to refer to the 'complete predicate' as this sets them up with an incorrect understanding and incorrect habits which will need to be corrected later. I have seen other textbooks use the term 'Simple Predicate' to just refer to the verb or verb phrase but I don't see this term used in CW, Harvey's, or even in Mary Daly's First Whole Book of Diagrams. Did I miss something here?
Kathie in VA

Re: The Predicate in Aesop B

Postby Carolyn » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Kathie,

You're right. The complete predicate is often more than just the verb or verb phrase that modifies the subject. We'll correct that by removing the 'complete' in the Student Workbook. Teachers can discuss the differences between simple subject and complete subject, or simple predicate and complete predicates, as fits the needs of their class that way.

I think the intent was to remind the student to underline all the parts of the simple predicate -- the complete simple predicate, if you will. That certainly didn't come through, though!
Carolyn

Re: The Predicate in Aesop B

Postby Kathie in VA » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:31 am

Thank you that makes sense. Although, the term 'Simple Predicate' is not even mentioned in the Aesop books. If you are making changes you might want to introduce that term also. This way the definition of 'predicate' is preserved.

Thanks again
Kathie in VA

Return to Book I: Aesop --- Beginning Narrative Writing