Can a 3rd grader do Aesop B?

This board is for discussion of Classical Writing - Aesop. CW Aesop teaches writing through rewriting of shorter stories, like fables.

Can a 3rd grader do Aesop B?

Postby homemama2 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:45 pm

Last year, I used CW Aesop with my 4th grader. We only used the core book. At the time, my 2nd grader wanted to join in, so I let him. Surprisingly, he did every bit as well as my 4th grader (actually better at times!) and besides that, he enjoyed CW a lot. This year, I decided to buy the IG and SW for Aesop B because I wanted to make sure I was covering enough grammar before moving into Homer next year for 6th with my oldest. The problem is, I'm not sure if I should keep the boys working together since the younger one is technically a year too young. I'm also thinking that if they stayed together, that would place my younger son in Homer a year early. I haven't seen Homer, but I imagine that would be a real challenge....

Anyone have any advice on what I should have my younger one do this year? I don't really want to buy the IG and SW for Aesop A for him, because when I used it last year, I knew I would move into the workbooks this year for level B. So I made sure we did the same stories as the level A workbooks covered so I wouldn't repeat stories this year.
homemama2

Re: Can a 3rd grader do Aesop B?

Postby admin » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:41 am

A 3rd grader can certainly do Aesop B. It might not be appropriate for ALL students of that age, but if he's enjoyed some of Aesop already and is doing well, I don't see a reason to let his birth year stop him from continuing.

That said, remember that enjoying Aesop in 2nd grade doesn't make it mandatory to enjoy Homer in 4th, or be developmentally ready for the later levels earlier than usual as well.

Carolyn
admin
Site Admin

Re: Can a 3rd grader do Aesop B?

Postby homemama2 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:57 am

Thank you! We'll go ahead and include him this year. I could always just use the core book by itself for him if he wasn't for the workload of Homer. :P
homemama2

Return to Book I: Aesop --- Beginning Narrative Writing