Grammar in Aesop B

This board is for discussion of Classical Writing - Aesop. CW Aesop teaches writing through rewriting of shorter stories, like fables.

Grammar in Aesop B

Postby Sweet Tea » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:42 pm

In August or September, I will begin AESOP B with my daughter who is rising into 4th grade, age 9. I saw that it is recommended that we do Mary Daly's Diagramming Text and Worktext. When is diagramming introduced? Do we need it at the beginning, or can I wait to purchase it?

Also, how does Aesop B differ from Aesop A? What skills should I look to focus on during this year?
Sweet Tea

Re: Grammar in Aesop B

Postby admin » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:01 am

Aesop B is sufficient for your diagramming needs, so you do not need an outside resource unless you choose to purchase one.

Mary Daly has a lovely book, which is a great reference resource, well worth having, so I do recommend that you get it if it is within your budget and your desire, but for Aesop B, it is not necessary.

In fact, even in Homer, we do explain diagramming from its basics, and if budget is an issue, there are enough diagramming resources online to choose from that you can get buy without purchasing an additional book.

Does that answer your question?

Lene
admin
Site Admin

Postby Sweet Tea » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:40 pm

Thanks for your reply, Lene. It helps to know that Aesop B contains all we need to start.

The second part of my question concerned the skill set focus for Aesop B. What is the focus? How is it different than Aesop A?
Sweet Tea

Postby admin » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:18 am

Yes, sorry, I missed that totally.

Aesop A is a gentle introduction to grammar while learning to rewrite simple fables. It is an introduction for younger students who are not yet confident with their pencils or typing skills. It moves slowly and focuses on simple grammar concepts (recognizing a verb, a noun, an adjective) and it reinforces writing mechanics skills by copybook and dictation.

Aesop B moves slightly faster. Older students or very confident students may want to skip Aesop A and go straight into Aesop B.

It teaches beginning diagramming, rewriting of longer stories, but otherwise it is very similar in structure and principle to Aesop A.

Lene
admin
Site Admin

Return to Book I: Aesop --- Beginning Narrative Writing