How much writing outside of Aesop A?

This board is for discussion of Classical Writing - Aesop. CW Aesop teaches writing through rewriting of shorter stories, like fables.

How much writing outside of Aesop A?

Postby Momof4dd » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:23 am

How much writing outside of the Aesop A writing projects do you recommend for a 3th grader?
I really like Aesop A, we are in week 5 and it is going very well, but I'm starting to get a bit nervous about only having one writing project every two weeks.
I understand that it depends on the child :) , but *ideally* how much other writing do you recommend? (not counting daily handwriting)
Momof4dd

Re: How much writing outside of Aesop A?

Postby admin » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:42 am

When Tracy and I firstemmig wrote Aesop in 2002, we had our own children write a writing project every week. When Kathy wrote the workbooks, the focus was ón what the average student can handle. Remember some children mature slower and need more timeto adjust to the work load. By All means if your student can handle and flourishes with doing all the work for one fable in one week, go with the pace where your student thrives.

This is the beauty of homeschooling that you are free to suit everything to your and your student's likes.

Lene
admin
Site Admin

Postby Momof4dd » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:15 am

Thank you, Lene.

My apologies for my late response, I thought I would get a notification for new posts, but I probably forgot to turn that on :oops: .

My dd can easily handle the work for one fable in a week. We probably could do a fable every week, but I'm holding of on that, because I got the impression that one shouldn't start Homer too early.

In the WellTrainedMind it is recommended that children also write about their history work and for science. My dd doesn't like that, she only wants to write stories. She enjoys Aesop, but getting her to write for history or science is like pulling teeth :roll: .

So I was wondering if doing Aesop A, writing an occasional letter to grandpa or a friend, and some personal projects now and then (she is now writing a cookbook :lol:) would be enough? It is probably a silly worry of me, but it feels like she doesn't get much instruction this way, because I do not help/edit/instruct with her personal writing.
Momof4dd

Postby admin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:23 am

I would not have her write for science and history at this age, unless she likes doing so. Students automatically get to write for those subjects later, when they handle the subjects better and are matured to writing 'process' writing assignments.

Aesop has plenty of writing, and to me, at this stage, it is essential, whenever possible, to help the kids enjoy the process as much as possible. No reason to make her hate writing in 3-4 grade.

What Charlotte Mason recommends is narration, so you could encourage your student to tell you what happened in history and science, rather than have her write it down. This way you can help her organize her thoughts and mature in thinking about processes, cause, and effect without bringing on something she hates.

Lene
admin
Site Admin

Return to Book I: Aesop --- Beginning Narrative Writing