Grammar Review

This board is for discussion of Classical Writing - Aesop. CW Aesop teaches writing through rewriting of shorter stories, like fables.

Grammar Review

Postby Laurie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:11 am

Dear CW,

I have worked through the first Aesop book, last year, and am currently working through Student Workbook B with my son.

I am struggling with the grammar review. Boxing nouns and underlining verbs, one would assume this an elementary skill, I am struggling to determine the correct classification and reason for a number of words. My lack of confidence is affecting my son’s mastery of this subject and limiting his enthusiasm, as well.

Do you have an answer key I might work backwards from?

I agree with the theory behind this curriculum. I want to feel successful and confident working with the material. Right now I don’t.

This is certainly a full season of life for us all. I appreciate you taking some time to respond to my post.
Laurie

Re: Grammar Review

Postby admin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:30 am

Laurie,

Boxing nouns and underlining verbs is simple - if one is dealing with canned sentences. With real writing, it can become a challenge. Words that are nouns can function as adverbs, words that obviously have a verb function can be simultaneously acting as nouns, and more!

At this time, we don't have a comprehensive answer key giving the parts of speech for all the words in the model, or even all the nouns and verbs. I can understand your struggle with identifying all of them, and being confident in your answers. If you have specific words you're not sure about, you are welcome to ask questions on these boards. You can also modify the exercise. Rather than have your son find every single noun in the model, you could have him find 5-10, and then discuss them. If you're not sure if the word is a noun, or functioning as a noun, you can look it up in the dictionary to see if it can be a noun.

Remember, this is just the beginning. A basic understanding of nouns and verbs is what you can aim for in Aesop. An exhaustive, thorough comprehension of all the vagaries of nouns and verbs in the English language can wait.

Carolyn
admin
Site Admin

Return to Book I: Aesop --- Beginning Narrative Writing