Where to go next

This board is for discussion of Classical Writing - Aesop. CW Aesop teaches writing through rewriting of shorter stories, like fables.

Where to go next

Postby Aussie mum » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:11 am

Hi, I'd appreciate your advice on the progression of the curriculum. My kids have been using aesops for a year now. They seem comfortable with the narration, analysis and retelling, all of that time working at skill level 4. I was wondering whether to do another 6 or 12 months with aesops, or to spend 2.5 or 3 years on homer. At the moment, they enjoy it, it's not too easy but I think it could be challenged more. They read profusely and prodigiously, but I would consider my younger child to be more naturally inclined to write than the older one; hence keeping them together.

They are going in to grades 4 and 5 (age 8 and 9) so I have time on my side.
Aussie mum

Re: Where to go next

Postby KathyWeitz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:34 am

Sounds like you are doing very well! I would probably be inclined to go ahead and move to Homer, but take it slowly, maybe even spending two weeks on each week in the Student Workbook. Also, I encourage you to use your 'extra time' to do our Poetry courses. It is really best if you have a bit of Homer under your belt before you do Poetry for Beginners, so perhaps you can do 12-14 weeks of Homer A this winter, and then go into Poetry for the spring.

The one thing to keep in mind is that you want to hold off on Diogenes until 7th grade, since the abstract reasoning skills needed for that level are not usually present much before age 12 or 13.

Please ask if you have any further questions.

Kathy
Kathy Weitz
kathy@classicalwriting.com
www.classicalwritingtutorials.com
KathyWeitz

Postby Aussie mum » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:14 pm

Thank you. It's that balance ok keeping it challenging without overwhelming them. You make a good point about poetry. I think they''ll enjoy the slower but more challenging pace. Would it be reasonable to do homer a, then poetry for beginners, homer b, and then intermediate poetry, before starting Diogenes in 3 years? Or would that be too young for intermediate poetry as I feel poetry can be rather abstract, too?

We shall just move through the skill levels slowly, and have plenty of time to practice and refine those skills.
Aussie mum

Postby KathyWeitz » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:57 am

Yes, that does sound like a good progression, or you could save Intermediate Poetry for after Maxim - either way will work well.

Kathy
Kathy Weitz
kathy@classicalwriting.com
www.classicalwritingtutorials.com
KathyWeitz

Return to Book I: Aesop --- Beginning Narrative Writing