Homer, Harvey's & Poetry ??

This is a board for specific questions regarding Classical Writing for those who have not purchased any books in our series yet.

Homer, Harvey's & Poetry ??

Postby pata » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:36 pm

We will be moving onto Homer next year and I have a few questions about grammar. I'm planning to just use the Homer corebook, along with some help from the tutorials. It has worked better for us to use just the core for Aesop, that way I really understand the what & why I'm teaching certain things, plus I can tailor the assignments to my student. I'm hoping this will remain true for Homer as well, but do tell me if I'm crazy for thinking this :).

What I am really curious about is how integrated Harvey's grammar is to Homer? I know that it's scheduled in the Homer teacher's guide, but are there suggestions for using it in the corebook? We are currently using FLL and I had planned on continuing with ALL until they announced it won't be released in time for us next year. I'm taking a good look at Harvey's as an option for next year, but still have a few questions. Does the answer key help you schedule the book out or let you know what material to cover in a year? Is the student workbook designed to be done one lesson per day or one lesson over several days? Grammar is not my strong suit, so I need something with a bit of hand holding and I would love for it to have a schedule as well!

Also, is it possible to do Poetry for Beginners with just the corebook? My knowledge of poetry is more from an appreciation standpoint, so does the corebook explain the various forms well enough for a novice to teach? I've got a budget this year and I'd like not to spend almost half of it only on language arts. I realize it will take some prep work on my part to use only the corebooks, but I don't mind doing that.

Thank you ladies for all your hard work in creating Classical Writing! My daughter has loved Aesop and has learned so much. I'm looking forward to digging deeper into the series.
Paige
using CW Aesop with 9yo dd
pata

Re: Homer, Harvey's & Poetry ??

Postby admin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:34 am

Excellent questions!

You're not crazy for thinking you can use Homer without the workbooks. That's how it was originally written -- the workbooks came later to make the planning easier.

So far as grammar and Homer -- the grammar needed for Homer is mostly taught in Homer. We've used Harvey's as our framework for introducing the concepts, and recommend using Harvey's for grammar so you can avoid jumping around or re-creating the grammar wheel. In the Homer core, there's a nifty table telling you what grammar concepts are covered in each skill level. and what sections they are in Harvey's. With the Core and the Harvey's text, you can plot out which lessons to cover when. Lessons in Harvey's are short. I believe the book is available through Google Books online, and you could also look at the previews of our Harvey's workbook to see what the student does for a typical lesson. (The exercises in our workbooks are the same as the exercises in the Harvey's book.)

Poetry for Beginners was also written before our workbooks, so it is possible to use it without them. You'll learn lots with the planning!

Carolyn
admin
Site Admin

Re: Homer, Harvey's & Poetry ??

Postby pata » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:34 pm

Thank you, Carolyn! You've put my mind at ease :).
Paige
using CW Aesop with 9yo dd
pata

Return to IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT BUYING CLASSICAL WRITING....