Questions Classical Primer and Aesop

This is a board for specific questions regarding Classical Writing for those who have not purchased any books in our series yet.

Questions Classical Primer and Aesop

Postby Sweet Tea » Wed May 04, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi,
I am planning to use the Classical Primer- Autumn book for my second grade daughter next year. She is reading on a third grade level and is currently doing a second grade level LA in another curriculum (literature based, not Charlotte Mason). My sense is that she is not quite ready for Aesop (which I will be doing with my rising third grader who is really excited about it!). What suggestions can you offer to help boost the Primer, if need be? She is young (six with an October birthday) so I don't really want to push her up anymore.

Also, could you clarify exactly what I need to teach Aesop? The Core book, Instructor Wkbk, and Student wkbk? Do I need the Models or are they included? Also, how do you use the models? Additionally, my children learned to read without any formal phonics -- just me saying sound out the word and then helping them sound it out by example. I always thought the school would catch them up with the missing pieces, but they didn't, and now we are homeschooling. How critical is that to the word analysis in CW? They know how to break a word into syllables and the differences between short and long sounds and such. . .and I am planning to use Spelling Workout as our Spelling book. Will we be okay?

Thanks in advance.
Sweet Tea

Re: Questions Classical Primer and Aesop

Postby KathyWeitz » Fri May 06, 2011 7:29 am

For Primer, I would just move slowly until you see how she does. Also, plenty of reading aloud - I recommend HOURS a day if possible. Include poetry every day. Outside time... The lovely thing about Primer is that it shouldn't take too long each day, and that gives plenty of time for these most important things.

At her age, I agree that you are wise to hold off on Aesop for a while. The spelling analysis in Classical Writing is really a way to integrate what you are learning in phonics to your reading and writing, so I do consider it critical. Definitely keep working on a separate phonics program - it is helpful for both spelling and logical thinking. I don't know too much about Spelling Workout, but I think it is a phonics-based program, right? There is a fabulous new curriculum in the works, The Logic of English (www.logicofenglish.com - I suggest you keep an eye on the offerings there. Personally, we used Spell to Read and Write, but I think Logic of English is going to be easier to implement when it is completed.

You have the right list of books for Aesop.

Let me know if I missed anything, or if you have any additional questions.

Kathy
Kathy Weitz
kathy@classicalwriting.com
www.classicalwritingtutorials.com
KathyWeitz

Postby Sweet Tea » Tue May 10, 2011 8:32 pm

I am new to the Classical Method. I see so much wisdom in how its focus on form and structure before content and argument. But I am wondering exactly what the children do. They read the fable, narrate it back (tell me what they remember?) What happens after that? Are the models good examples of re-told fables or the fables themselves? How does it work?
Sweet Tea

Postby admin » Wed May 11, 2011 6:25 am

The best way to see what the children do is to look at sample pages of the workbooks 0
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/aesop-student-workbook-a/15242127 for Aesop Student Workbook A, and
http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/primer---autumn/5232473%20for%20the%20Autumn%20Primer

As far as whether we use the fables or the the fables re-told as models, that may depend on your frame of reference. The fables and stories are in English (so at least some of them are translated works), and from the public domain. They're not modern re-interpretations of fables, certainly. Most of the models used in Aesop Student Workbook A and Aesop Student Workbook B, if not all, are also in Traditional Tales http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/traditional-tales/2832114. You can preview that book to see a larger number of the models than the student workbook previews allow.

Carolyn
admin
Site Admin

Return to IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT BUYING CLASSICAL WRITING....